Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default Shed project: Shearwall design

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Jun 29, 11:29 pm, "benick" wrote:
"benick" wrote in message
"Smitty Two" wrote in message
wrote:

In a free-standing garage, where one wall is almost entirely absent to
make
a door opening, what parts of the structure prevent the door wall from
racking?

The back wall.

You've NEVER seen a garage...LOL...Sorry about laughing but that was
funny...Once all 4 walls are up it will be fine...No extra thick
sheathing
required..Use a 2X8 header with half inch sheating in the middle to make
3
1/2 inches for the wall thickness if using 2X4's.......

My garage (newly built) has a 28X9 foot gable wall with 2 10X8 doors , 2X8
headers , , half inch sheathing , walls bolted to the slab with with no
problems..(Licensed Contractor Built) No steele or glulams or other mumbo
jumbo crap..Doors work perfect ..No racking...No problems at all and we
get
3-5 feet of snow and 60+ MPH winds...Every garage I've seen is built that
way....I suppose if you live in hurricane alley or earthquake prone
california , maybe ...It is after all just a SHED....

I have to design for 120 MPH winds, but, more to the point, which in
your opinion is preferable - giving someone advice sight/site unseen
and them having a problem, or telling them to err on the side of
caution? Explain your answer. Show all your work. You have three
minutes. Good luck.

I thought he was in Salt Lake City...ie..No hurricanes or
earthquakes....Giving general advice and personal experiences site unseen is
what we do on here...I had no idea you had to be an engineer to post on
here.. Don't hurt your arm patting yourself on the back...I don't have to
explain **** to you and take your 3 minutes and stick it up your arse and
explain the feeling..You have 3 minutes ...Good Luck...