Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Shed project: Shearwall design

On Jun 29, 8:50*pm, fftt wrote:
On Jun 29, 7:54*am, HerHusband wrote:

Bob,

bumping up to 2x6 for a garage is waste of timber.

Unless you plan to use the garage as a workshop, in which case 2x6
construction allows you to install more insulation. I used 2x6 framing with
R19 insulation in our garage and have never regretted it.

Anthony

True...but did OP say where the garage is located?
Insulation makes sense for conditioned space.

In most of SoCal insulating a garage is waste of time & money. * In
the desert (high or low) or the mountains...... insulation is worth
it.

The OP is posting from a SLCC.edu account - Salt Lake City Community
College, so it gets hot and it gets cold.

Upon looking at some of the climate data, the shear wall situation is
less critical in SLC than in some hypothetical unknown location where
conservative advice must be given. SLC has only had two tornadoes in
115 years. Like I said above, let the local code and shear
requirements dictate the design - they shouldn't be too onerous.