Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Loose M&T

In article , Keith Nuttle wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article m, "John"

wrote:
I built an adjustable fixture that allows me to make very accurate loose
mortise and tenon joints. I have been using tenons fabricated from hardwood,
either Oak or Poplar.

Very different physical characteristics there. Much better IMHO to make the
tenons from the same wood they will be used to join, so that the tenon expands
and contracts at the same rate as the mortises.

snip

I think it would depend on what you are building. If you are building
heavy furniture or something similar, listen to all of the other
posters. If you are making something light like picture frames, then
try the hardboard. I have been using the Lee Valley hardboard biscuits
for years to make picture frames and have never had a failure.

You're right, of course, but I have my doubts that the OP is using 1/4" tenons
to build picture frames. g