Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Air Conditioner cycles off after 3 to 5 minutes---need troubleshooting help

I sense, strongly, that you're going to fix it.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob" wrote in message
I removed the jumper from the thermostat and repositioned
the tube at
some distance from the cold coils and fins.

The air condiioner ran about three minutes and cycled off.
I guess
I've pretty well proven that the thermostat is bad.

I just ordered the universal replacement by phoning the 800
number in
the website I mentioned several posts back. They said
they'd get it
out yet today by UPS ground. I ought to see it by Thursday
or Friday.
(Is Friday, July 3, a UPS holiday?)

With any luck my next posting on this site will say I didn't
have to
drill any holes and everything is fixed.

Meanwhile, thanks to everyone here for all the help.
Assuming that
this fixes the problem, I'm glad I didn't try to get some
one to make
a service call, or, worse yet, toss my unit in the dump and
buy a new
one.

Bob