Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Coolant vs. cutting oil/lube

In article ,
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

On 2009-06-28, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[ ... ]

What is the best fluid to use for roll (form) tapping? High
sulfur? Mollybdimum Disulfide? Something else? I've got some stuff
which appears to be mostly powdered sulfur in an oil carrier -- looks
kind of like mustard, and about as thick. IIRC, it is called
"Sul-Flo". This is nice where high cutting forces are involved, but you
want good airflow to get the smell of burning sulfur out of your lungs. :-)

I think that SulFlo is flowers of sulfur dispersed in heavy oil,
probably made in a ball mill (like paint).

That is what it looks like at least. It is quite nice for heavy
cutting.

[ ... ]

Wasn't that what was in the original Tap-Magic? Or was it
1,1,1, Trichlor? Whatever was there, it was certainly bad news when
tapping aluminum. :-)

The research guys still use carbon tet, mainly trying to invent
something that works that well.

I wonder whether we will hear about it if they do -- or there
will simply be another "miracle ingredient" cutting fluid on the market
with no way to tell what it is? :-)

The MSDS will give them away.

But more to the point, this would be a billion dollar invention. If it
is not patented, it will be stolen. In either case, it will soon become
public.

Joe Gwinn