Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Air Conditioner cycles off after 3 to 5 minutes---need troubleshootinghelp

Bob wrote:
On Jun 28, 3:24 pm, "Big Bob" wrote:
Not only is the voltage important, so is the amp rating.
The specs for the part you propose a
Universal type window unit thermostat kit.

Range: Cold Off (52ºF) Warm On (93ºF)
Diff: 6ºF
Capillary: 18" End 1" Aircoil
SPST, F.L.A. 20A, L.R.A. 80A

I would go for it

Hey Big Bob (from Bob);

I love the education I'm getting. Where did you come up with the
specs for the Universal type window unit thermostat kit?

SPST= single pole, single throw. What is F.L.A. and L.R.A.?

Is it Universal enough that the mounting holes are going to match, or
is that too much to ask?

Stormin Mormon: The tube spacing looks OK, but before I spend buy any
new parts, I am going to try moving the tube somewhat and see what
happens.

Bob

Did you install a jumper wire in place of the thermostat?
If the AC ran OK with the jumper in place, then it's the
thermostat. The way thermostats are mounted on window AC
units is important because it also detects icing of the
evaporator and shuts off the compressor. The rubber or
foam block that the sensing bulb is mounted on is necessary
for proper operation.

TDD