Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default availability of sheet ABS or suitable substitute?

Nate Nagel wrote:
Hi all,

to tell you why I'm asking, I have a whole collection of used Thule
roof rack parts laying around (I wanted to be able to carry bikes on
my car, but didn't feel like paying the exorbitant prices to buy this
stuff new, so I bought a couple racks on Craigslist, eBay, etc. to
get all the parts I needed, and then sold the leftovers that I didn't
need.) I've been going through them and cleaning/fixing everything. Whenever
I've come across a part that's broken or missing, I've been
able to get on Thule's web site and order it for cheap. UNTIL...

just picked up a used "fit kit" for my mom's car (mom and dad said
they wanted one too when I offered them the leftovers.) Used off
Craigslist of course, I'm not spending $70 if I don't have to. Anyway there's
one little plastic clip that they're going to need
that apparently got lost, and while Thule is good about replacement
parts for racks and accessories, apparently if you lose a piece of a
fit kit you're boned and have to buy a whole new one. I have another
clip to copy and it looks pretty trivial to make one, if I were able
to find some sheets of appropriately sized ABS (I believe that's what
it is made of) glued together with some sort of appropriate adhesive
(ABS pipe cement?) But I don't know where to find same (although I
bet I could order it from McMaster-Carr.)

I tried this, but my reply seems to have dissapeared. Excuse me if it repeats.

Cut an appropriate length of ABS pipe. Slice it lengthwise down one side. Heat
it, unroll it till it's flat, and cool it.