Posted to rec.woodworking
Konstabel Els Konstabel Els is offline

Default cutting down / cutting up trees

On Jun 29, 12:46*am, Morris Dovey wrote:
Tanus wrote:
Konstabel Els wrote:
snip

I guess it depends on the wood type, soft woods being ready sooner.
What I am trying to understand is, as I'm splitting manually, will I
use more energy to split the wood when wet, or should I wait for the
wood to dry out a bit, since the wood will start splitting itself
after a couple of months.

It's easier to split if it's dried out a bit - you're right. If you live
*in northern climates, it's even easier if you wait til a good freeze..

... and easier still if you do it with a powered hydraulic splitter.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

but
a) it's not eco friendly
b) a splitter costs a lot more money than an axe
c) I don't any exercise