Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Coolant vs. cutting oil/lube

On 2009-06-28, Ed Huntress wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
On 2009-06-27, Ed Huntress wrote:

[ ... ]

Where cutting forces or non-cutting friction is high, you can add sulfur
oil and you get more film strength, with little influence on lubrication,
without increasing the puncture threshold. Tough cutting conditions, such
as
tapping, benefit from the sulfur.

What is the best fluid to use for roll (form) tapping? High
sulfur? Mollybdimum Disulfide? Something else?

Ya got me. I forget what they recommend. When I had a specialized question
like that I'd call the people who made the tools. They usually know better
than anyone.

O.K. I've first got to figure out who made the ones which I
have. I got them from MSC a while back. :-) And -- they'll probably
want to know what I am planning to tap with them -- and that is also
variable. :-)

I've got some stuff
which appears to be mostly powdered sulfur in an oil carrier -- looks
kind of like mustard, and about as thick. IIRC, it is called
"Sul-Flo". This is nice where high cutting forces are involved, but you
want good airflow to get the smell of burning sulfur out of your lungs.
:-)

Hey, it's better than the way I used to tap (fairly) hard steel...with
carbon tet, holding my breath and then running up the stairs every twenty
seconds or so, to breathe. g

Wow!

That was after we knew it was bad for you. Before we knew, when I was a kid,
I made whole quarts of dry-fly dope by dissolving paraffin wax in carbon
tet, in an open jar. Sheesh.

I was using it to clean the gates of the school's movie
projectors -- in the projection booth during study hall, so I kept the
door closed. I spent the next two days in the infirmary (a prep
school). :-)

[ ... ]

Wasn't that what was in the original Tap-Magic? Or was it
1,1,1, Trichlor? Whatever was there, it was certainly bad news when
tapping aluminum. :-)

It was the 1,1,1. I still have a half can of it. And yes, I've gotten the
black bubbling mess and smoke that you get when you use it on aluminum. g

:-)

Jeez, that scared me when I saw that. I thought it was going to melt through
to China.

I was tapping holes in a friend's aluminum beer keg, which he
wanted to turn into a large piggy bank -- with the screws to secure a
hasp holding the plug in the hole for emptying it. :-)

I wonder whether he still has it? He has been through two more
wives, and I don't know how many moves since then.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564