Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Shed project: Shearwall design

wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 17:18:21 -0400, in alt.home.repair, "benick"
wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article 4a47884e.691334325@localhost,
wrote:

In a free-standing garage, where one wall is almost entirely absent to
make
a door opening, what parts of the structure prevent the door wall from
racking?
The back wall.

You've NEVER seen a garage...LOL...Sorry about laughing but that was
funny...

Yeah, but it did make me stop and think. I think he's partly right. My
thinking did not take into account the roof structure and how it rigidly
ties all of the walls together. It's certainly not the first "duh!" moment
I've had on this project, almost certainly not the last.

Thanks to all who have replied so far, you're giving me plenty to think
about.

yes typically the roof is pitched to the sides of the garage, not front
and back - even if the garage is roughly square. You don't want to have
to walk through the wall o' water(tm) running off the garage roof to
open the door, do you? so if you have a garage design where there
really is limited area for sheathing to provide support around the
garage door you could add some bracing on the inside between the wall
framing and the last roof truss

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.