Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob[_35_] Bob[_35_] is offline

Default Air Conditioner cycles off after 3 to 5 minutes---needtroubleshooting help

On Jun 27, 9:47*pm, "Big Bob" wrote:
Looking at the wiring parts list that you provided, i see no mention of hi
or low pressure refrigerant cutoffs. If the motor continues to run and it is
the compressor kicking off, the problem is going to be the thermostat or as
pointed out by another user, an external overload under the compressor cap.
If the entire unit is kicking out, that is, the fan and the compressor, you
could have a faulty thermostat or selector switch.
Without being there, this is the best I can do for you. *40 seems a bit cool
but is possible. You stated that you removed the unit and cleaned the coils.
I assume you cleaned both the evaporator and condenser coils. Also make sure
the filter is clean.
As stated in my previous post, my bet is on the thermostat.

"Bob" wrote in message

Tomorrow is my day to work on this again.

--------------------**********************-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.......and here's what I found today........

I by-passed the thermostat and the cycling seems to have stopped.

I did look at the coils again, both by checking airflow and shining a
flashlight through the fins, and I'm pretty sure the coils are plenty
clean.

Next challenge:

I looked at Frigidare replacement parts and the thermostat is in the
$110 range----ouch!!!!! The Frigidare part # is G158995.

Looking further on-line I found a universal replacement thermostat for
about $35 at http://www.appliancepartsworldwide.c...spx?Id=1018989

Does anyone have any comments on using a universal part to save some
cash?

My air conditioner is 220 volt. Looking at the wiring diagram it
looks like the control circuits are also 220 volts, In the various
online parts catalogs I don't see any callouts for voltages for
thermostats. Am I missing something here?