Posted to alt.home.repair
Deodiaus Deodiaus is offline

Default AC repair question

I had a problem with my AC units. I thought it was the freon which
was too low.
The AC guy came out and said that he first recommended cleaning the
outside AC units, at $80/unit. His partner says that my units look
clean. He says that they should be cleaned every year.
So he takes off the top casing, washes it with a lawn hose, sprays on
an A/C cleaner (sodium hydroxide based), and washes it off. $300
later, he says that the freon needs to be added too. Ok, another $150
later the problem is solved. I got the feeling I was hood winked and
robbed.
Two questions.
Is washing and cleaning the units standard practice? Is it even
necessary to do it once a year? On my old house, I haven't cleaned
them in 3 years and never noticed a higher than average bill for not
doing so.
How much efficiency is lost by not cleaning the units? The repair guy
quoted 50%, but I made a smart ass remark like 5%/yr.