Posted to rec.woodworking
Konstabel Els Konstabel Els is offline

Default cutting down / cutting up trees

On Jun 27, 10:07*pm, Tanus wrote:
Konstabel Els wrote:
On Jun 26, 10:29 pm, Morris Dovey wrote:
Konstabel Els wrote:
when is the best time to do this
a) for cutting trees down
b) for cutting the logs into pieces small enough for an open fire
Assuming you want the wood for fireplace or stove, two years before you
need to burn them.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

what about splitting the logs, should I leave it 2 years or split them
straight away ?

Around here, where there are cottage industries for firewood, wood is
cut down in mid to late winter, snow is on the ground, but temps are a
bit reasonable.

The people I know who are in the business split as soon as they've cut
to length. So from the time the tree is standing til it's split and
piled could be a matter of days, or even the same day if they're really
hauling.

Although two years seems to be conventional knowledge for letting wood
air after it's been stacked, I've had success with same year wood. ie,
the wood is cut and split in March and it's in my woodstove in November.
I also have some two and three year old wood. While it does burn a bit
better, it's not something I notice that much.

YMMV

Tanus

I guess it depends on the wood type, soft woods being ready sooner.
What I am trying to understand is, as I'm splitting manually, will I
use more energy to split the wood when wet, or should I wait for the
wood to dry out a bit, since the wood will start splitting itself
after a couple of months.