Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Wixon William Wixon is offline

Default OT cell phone antenna struck by lightning

"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 16:15:07 -0700 (PDT), XR650L_Dave
wrote:

On Jun 27, 7:04 am, "William Wixon" wrote:
not necessarily metalworking related. here in my small town they put up
some cell antennas about 2 or 3 years ago. we had a big thunderstorm a
couple weeks ago. one of the antennas got zapped. sorry to say i think
it
looks pretty funny. bzzzapp!

http://www.frontiernet.net/~wwixon/cellantenna2.jpg

Ha! Peeled the radome like a bananna!

Probably didn't do the waveguide and diplexer and transmitters and
receivers any favors either...

That's the time you just drop a dumpster at the door of the repeater
shack and shovel it all out to start fresh. Certain bits may have
survived unscathed, but it'll take way too long to find them and
certify that each and every function still works... Let the factory
service depot do that.

-- Bruce --

that day i was visiting the microhydro plant that's here in my little town,
it was the operator who pointed out to me the antenna got hit (he said "it
peeled it like a banana" lol), he said that lightning strike affected his
equipment too, and he's like 500 feet away from that water tower.

b.w.