Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kevin Poole[_7_] Kevin Poole[_7_] is offline

Default clock winding key

sm_jamieson wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get a clock winding key ?
I have an old clockwork mantelpiece clock and I want to see if it
works.

Three ways of proceeding since you haven't got an old key to read a size
off:

Go to your local friendly clock repairer, with the clock, (we don't all
bite) and he'll probably have a bunch of keys, that you can check the
size against, or a box of assorted ones he'll find you one from

Buy a small assortment from somewhere like Cousins, or Meadows &
Passmore, or H S Walsh, say sizes 8, 9, 10, and hope one fits.

or measure the size of the square, which isn't always easy with the
movement in the case. The winding squares usually taper, so say where
on the taper you've measured it, and someone here (me, possibly) will
suggest the most likely size. There are conversion charts around, too.

I wouldn't be too worried that your friendly etc etc clockmaker will rip
you off by insisting you need him to overhaul the movement. Most of us
have had our fill of 30s mantel clocks.

--
Kevin Poole
****Use current date to reply (e.g. )****