Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Air Conditioner cycles off after 3 to 5 minutes---need troubleshooting help

Please take the cover off the unit. And clean the condensor
(the hot radiator in the back). Inside and out. You may need
somthing like a tooth brush to get the inside surface of the
coil. Use detergent and hot water. Rinse well, with a water
hose. Reassemble.

Low charge can cause lower temps. But, the quick cold action
suggests the compressor is doing its job.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob" wrote in message
Tomorrow is my day to work on this again.

As to the 20 years.....this unit has actually been used very
little,
and has been well protected during the off season.

Here's why I'm reluctant to just dump this air conditioner
and buy
something else (aside from being short on cash): when the
air
conditioner is turned on, it is quiet and smooth and cools
the output
air to 40° F immediately. To me that seems like all the
internal
parts are doing their jobs well and something external (like
a control
or heat exchanger) is causing the cycling. If it is low on
refrigerant would it cool to 40° so quickly? Same with
dirty or bad
condenser motor?

I could see the thermostat being the problem or the fins are
still not
clean enough.

Is my logic correct? Is getting to 40° quickly really
telling me that
certain parts are OK?

Incidently, the parts drawings for this unit are still on
the web at:
http://www.partselect.com/AdvancedMo...Num=&fkMfgID=4

It was 102° here today and forecast hotter tomorrow.

B.