Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default How to install screen door?

On Jun 27, 4:31*pm, tim birr wrote:
I install a couple of these when I was in my teens/20s at my parent's
house. I remember it being a pain, but I got it done and it worked.

Now, 30 years later, I need to install a wooden screen door in my own
house. *It's going in a "brand-new" 36" door-frame.

I have the screen door, I have three hinges, I've searched the web for
about 6-8 hours and have found no help...so...

I want to use three hinges, right-hand swing, pneumatic closer.....I'm
just at a loss where to start. The new door has no instructions, all I
can find on the web are instructions about using some long "tied-
together" hinge-thing.

Any points in the right direction...I can post pix of the door frame,
etc., if that would help, but it's pretty standard. *Do the screen
door hinges fasten on the outside so that they are totally visible,
etc....Yeah, stupid questions, but my carpentery skills are just above
4th grade. LOL

The only wooden screen door I ever installed was on the door to what
used be the nursery in our house.

We wanted to keep the cats out at first, and then the toddlers when
the younger ones came along, but be able to keep the real door open
for ventilation.

I surfaced mounted 3 hinges to the jam and double-deep mortised the
door itself so that when I took it off all I had to do was fill in the
screw holes in jam and repaint.

I also cut about a third of the top screen out and added a stringer to
support what was left. It's amazing how much breeze a screen door will
stop!