Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wiring in conduit

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 19:19:21 -0400, Phisherman
wrote:

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 20:44:39 -0700, "Ivan Vegvary"
wrote:

Running 3 #10's (stranded) in 1-1/2" PVC conduit. Total run 75 feet. Does
code allow me to have a splice within the conduit? Seems like it is kind of
accessible since I can easily pull it from both ends in case of problems.
Two 90° bends are involved but I am using long sweeps.

NEC does not allow this. Connections must be made in an accessable
approved electrical box.

Not 100% true any more.
There are now "T-Tap" devices approved by the NEC, UL, and CSA for
making connections without a junction box in non-accessible locations.
I would never use them or advise anyone to use them, but they are
(currently) legal and available.
Aluminum wire and Urea formadehyde insulation were both legal and
available in the not so distant past as well.
However, the NEC has not (yet) allowed a splice inside a conduit.