Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default * Large tiles in shower??

Kathy wrote:
"aemeijers" wrote in message
Kathy wrote:
Hello there;

I am redoing my shower, I replaced the walls with hardibacker board
(vapor barrier as well)

and now I'm ready to tile. I noticed that most showers use small
tiles but I would like to use

16 x 16 tiles (Low water absorption). Is there any reason why we
don't see too many large tiles

in walls? is there any tip I should know before I do it? Can it be
done?? Thank you in advance,

Kathy

Whatever looks right to you, but it is easier to disguise any uneven
parts of wall with smaller tile. Personally, if I ever feel rich
enough to get a gut job done on my bathroom, I'm gonna go for solid
surface panels in the tub enclosure. I hate cleaning grout joints.
The bigger the tile, the more time needed to square up opening and
shim the studs, but it sounds like you are already past that point.
I'd check yours carefully with framing square and straightedge,
before you buy your tile. You don't want a high spot to show.

--
aem sends...

Thank you for your reply, what do you think about the tiles been
heavier than smaller ones, any
problem? (I checked and they are about 6 lbs/each), hard to install?

It shouldn't be a problem. I'd use the "X" spacers between them and
appropriately trimmed below the bottom row just to be sure things stay in place.
Don't mix your thinset too thin.

I used 12x12 tiles and had no problem, even on the ceiling.