Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Wiring in conduit

JIMMIE wrote:
On Jun 27, 10:24 am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
"Ivan Vegvary" wrote:
Running 3 #10's (stranded) in 1-1/2" PVC conduit. Total run 75 feet. Does
code allow me to have a splice within the conduit? Seems like it is kind of
accessible since I can easily pull it from both ends in case of problems.
Two 90° bends are involved but I am using long sweeps.
Thanks for the info.
BTW, while I'm typically not a cheapskate, on my retirement allowance I
would rather not pay for a new roll of wire ($65) when I'm only shy a few
feet. Buying a single 75' piece, by the foot, will still set me back $30.
All replies appreciated.
Ivan Vegvary
This is one of those instances where'd I'd say the code is a
"suggestion."

Then your advice is worth exactly what the OP is paying for it. In many
places, the Code is _the law_.

Sort of like a stop sign in the middle of nowhere in the
middle of the night. If you can solder well and put a couple of layers
of shrink tube on it, I'd say go for it. I wouldn't do it with wire nuts.

Code violation, and, if underground, unsafe besides. Electrical codes are
there for a reason. Don't advise people to disregard them.- Hide quoted text -

Agreed especially since he mentioned soldeing the wires. The code
should be violated only by those who know how |.

Jimmie

Code ain't for you. Code is for the poor SOB 20 years from now, and a
couple of owners later, trying to reverse-engineer what the hell you
did. Yeah, odds are an in-line splice would work, and if done properly,
would never fail. But how much would it cost to buy a long enough cable,
or put a proper junction box in the middle? Shortly after I moved in
here, I found a badly-done butt splice floating in the bathroom wall,
because previous owner was too cheap or lazy to run a new wire, all of
about 15 feet. Just recently, I discovered the 4' fluorescents in the
basement were hooked up above the drop ceiling, by shoving the ends of
the romex into duplex outlets wired into the octagon boxes that once
held the original porcelain fixtures. I still need to rewire those, so I
can have light in the basement again...

--
aem sends...