Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wiring in conduit

On 6/27/2009 7:24 AM Doug Miller spake thus:

In article
,
Smitty Two wrote:

In article , "Ivan
Vegvary" wrote:

Running 3 #10's (stranded) in 1-1/2" PVC conduit. Total run 75 feet. Does
code allow me to have a splice within the conduit? Seems like it is kind of
accessible since I can easily pull it from both ends in case of problems.
Two 90° bends are involved but I am using long sweeps.

Sort of like a stop sign in the middle of nowhere in the middle of
the night. If you can solder well and put a couple of layers of
shrink tube on it, I'd say go for it. I wouldn't do it with wire
nuts.

Code violation, and, if underground, unsafe besides. Electrical codes
are there for a reason. Don't advise people to disregard them.

Ditto. Unsafe, as I have seen with my own two eyes what happens when
water gets inside conduit and finds its way inside conductors (this
happened when the insulation was nicked when the wires were pulled).
Result was a corroded spot in the wire which caused an open circuit.