Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Wiring in conduit

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Ivan Vegvary" wrote:

Running 3 #10's (stranded) in 1-1/2" PVC conduit. Total run 75 feet.
Does
code allow me to have a splice within the conduit? Seems like it is kind
of
accessible since I can easily pull it from both ends in case of problems.
Two 90° bends are involved but I am using long sweeps.

Thanks for the info.
BTW, while I'm typically not a cheapskate, on my retirement allowance I
would rather not pay for a new roll of wire ($65) when I'm only shy a few
feet. Buying a single 75' piece, by the foot, will still set me back
$30.

All replies appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

This is one of those instances where'd I'd say the code is a
"suggestion." Sort of like a stop sign in the middle of nowhere in the
middle of the night. If you can solder well and put a couple of layers
of shrink tube on it, I'd say go for it. I wouldn't do it with wire nuts.

I disagree. Certainly one can make a successful splice in a potentially wet
location. This is done with deep well pumps where the splice is actually
under water. The difference is that a qualified person knows that there is a
splice down in the well, so if the pump doesn't work, a few tests can
determine the problem and the mechanic knows where to look for the open
circuit. If a person wily nilly makes splices in inaccessible locations,
where they're illegal as per code, who would even think to look there.