Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Shuman Bob Shuman is offline

Default Powerline distortion on Car AM radio reception

Bob F.

I have the original Chrysler AM/FM/Cassette (no CD player) from that
vintage van. Let me know if you'd like it since I have no current use for
it and I would not mind getting it off my work bench.

No guarantees that the AM on this one won't get overloaded when you go under
a HV power line...

Bob S

"Bob F" wrote in message
hr(bob) wrote:
On Jun 26, 8:16 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
1PW wrote:
Bob F wrote:
I just bought a Dodge Caravan with a Pioneer DEH-P2000 radio/CD
player. When listening to AM radio and driving near HV powerlines,
the received signal is significantly distorted. The sound
"warbles", and is very unpleasant, and sometimes hard to
understand voices. It happens a lot driving around town.

I've never experienced this before with other cars or radios. Can
anyone suggest anything I can do to solve the problem, other than
the obvious "replace it"?

Hello Bob:

You can't have your cake and eat it too...

Get this replaced while you still have your warranty in effect.

Warm regards,

Pete

Unfortunately, I bought it used, and the warrantee is long gone, I'm
sure.- Hide quoted text -

It sounds like the signal getting into the radio is the problem. If
too strong a signal is received, it will overload the front end of the
radio. The strong signal can be coming from total noise picked up
which does go up in the vicinity of pwer lines. Or, it could also be
a poor connection between the antenna and the input to the radio. If
you can get at the back of the radio, you could hook up an alternate
antenna and see what happens. The biggest problem wiill be to get the
radio out of the mounting it is in. Then you can hook up a clip lead
for an antenna and see what is going..

I guess it's time to figure out how to get access to the radio. Anyone
dealt with this on an old (94) Caravan or one of the related vans?