bw

Default Chisel Handle wood choices

"Mike" wrote in message
news:d4Ypb.108911$Tr4.295325@attbi_s03...
I recently picked up a set of old socketed chisels with very nasty

handles.
I am planning to make a new set of handles on the Delta lathe I just

bought.
What is the best choice of wood for the handles. Someone suggested ash. Is
there other options to consider? Also, is the leather rings on the end of
the old handles for hand protection or just for ornamental purposes?

I just used some old wood handles from junk carpet cutters. Pulled out the
blade and shaped the wood the way I wanted. Finished with 2 coats of poly.

Another handle wood that might work that most people don't mention is elm.
Its tougher than you think and who cares if it looks bad.