Rodney Myrvaagnes

Default Chisel Handle wood choices

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 01:08:25 GMT, "Mike" wrote:

I recently picked up a set of old socketed chisels with very nasty handles.
I am planning to make a new set of handles on the Delta lathe I just bought.
What is the best choice of wood for the handles. Someone suggested ash. Is
there other options to consider? Also, is the leather rings on the end of
the old handles for hand protection or just for ornamental purposes?

For chisels that take hard pounding I would choose boxwood, since I
have some.

I have some old chisels with elegant original handles that appear to
be pearwood. These were made by L. & I.J. White, of Buffalo, NY. A set
of patternmakers' incannel gouges have no leather. A pocket chisel has
leather. I think the leather is meant to be struck (lightly) with a
mallet, which would not be done with the gouges.

The above all have tine and ferrule attachment. A firmer chisel from
the same maker has a socket, a plain beech handle, and a steel ring
around the striking end. It has been pounded enough to flare the
steel. The beech, this protected, has held up fine.

HTH

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"WooWooism lives" Anon grafitto on the base of the Cuttyhunk breakwater light