Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Magnet Trade again

Man at B&Q wrote:
On Jun 25, 7:42 pm, "Phil L" wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Late last year I were building a deck for a lady. The woman next
door was the manager of the local Magnet Trade.

She asked me if I would like to open an account. I explained that I
didn't fit kitchens, windows, doors or staircases and that in any
case I don't like to run accounts with anyone.

Ended up with a bag full of goodies, pads, pens, air fresheners, tee
shirt, a rather nice Irwin jack saw & the deal that if I opened an
account - without having to spend a single penny - I would get 20
tubes of silicone completely free.

So I did, no trade or bank refs required, got my free silicone and a
£3K credit account. Never ever used it. Obviously some kinda sales
promotion with a target & no doubt a bonus scheme.

Got a flyer in the post today, on the theme of 'Remember you opened
a trade account?'

'Activate your account, get £100 off any single transaction when you
spend £100 - even if you only spend £100 - thats right, your first
purchase could be completely free'.

I've read the small print 3 times & can't find a catch. The only
thing they sell that I might buy is the Ryobi range of power tools.

I shall pop in & check it out. £100 worth of power tools for free? I
could flog them & pocket the dosh!

Someone in their marketing department is obviously desperate &
doesn't have a bloody clue.

I'll report back.

It's true, I know lots of people who have taken the box of silicone
and the 100 quid and never been back

Magnet are, however, getting lots of free publicity on Usenet. You
have served their purpose quite nicely.

So you would rather not know about an offer of £100 worth of stuff for free?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk