Frank McVey

Default Chisel Handle wood choices

Hi Mike,

Ash is a great wood for handles that have to take a bending stress - it's
particulary tough in this direction. That's why you'd use it for the spokes
of cartwheels or pickaxe handles. However, it isn't particularly hard when
you're bashing it on the end grain as you would if you were driving it with
a chisel.

The preference for chisels which had to take this kind of punishment - in
the UK at least - was boxwood - this is a hard, dense wood derived from a
shrub, rather than a full-blown tree, usually.

Having said that, many chisels designed for hard work - like mortice
chisels, for example - had beech handles. Not as hard as box, but I have a
set of beech-handled mortice chisels which must be 80 years old at least,
which are still giving sterling service.

The leather washer found between the bolster and the handle of older chisels
was designed to act as a shock-absorber on those chisels which were designed
to be used with a mallet for heavy work.

All in all, I'd say that if you're designing handles for light hand work,
rather than mallet work, you don't need the leather washer and you can get
away with any hardish wood which won't split when you drive the chisel tang
in. I have chisels with handles made from apple, holly and walnut, as well
as the box and beech I have mentioned. The Japanese use Red Oak.

HTH,

Cheers,

Frank

"Mike" wrote in message
I recently picked up a set of old socketed chisels with very nasty

handles.
I am planning to make a new set of handles on the Delta lathe I just

bought.
What is the best choice of wood for the handles. Someone suggested ash. Is
there other options to consider? Also, is the leather rings on the end of
the old handles for hand protection or just for ornamental purposes?