Posted to alt.home.repair

Default passive vs active attic ventilation

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 09:32:02 -0700 (PDT), BradMM
wrote:

Was just talking to a HVAC guy and he referred to some study that said
the cost of running power ventilation exceeded the cost of just
turning down the AC. Someone shared the idea of solar powered vents
which I've looked in to but I think my first best move is to improve
the passive ventilation. I have only vents at the eaves currently so
will add soffit and maybe, in time, ridge vents.

What do you think?

Avoid powered fans, if at all possible. I'd put in more insulation
before considering a fan.