Posted to alt.home.repair
Zyp Zyp is offline

Default wireing new compresser question

Hustlin' Hank wrote:
On Jun 25, 1:59?pm, lujak wrote:
ok.
I have power to a switched box that i will wire to my compressor. i
have 4-strand 6 gauge cord.
problem is compressor has 2 hot and a ground, no neutral. ?what do i
do with my white wire?
my googling came up with:
A. attach it to the breaker along with the black. (sounds sketchy,
why not just not use it)?
B. ground it at the compressor. Sounds better but ?
Any help would be great.

I always thought the white wire was the neutral and should be
connected to the neutral buss. The ground wire (green or bare) can go
to any metal on the object that is being wired or to a ground rod or
the neutral buss too.

Am I wrong here? If so, how?

Hank

Hank you're correct - except the "ground to ANY metal."

I guess a better definition would be:

Load bearing neutral - [such as might be used for 110v] as opposed to a
safety ground - [used for safety in both 220v or 110v applications]

So, two hot(s) L1 / L2 for 220v and one green [safety]. The white neutral
is load bearing if you want to split the 220v to 110v - L1 to N or L2 to
N...... if you're not intending on using 110v then cap the white lead off
[as suggested.]

All metal raceways within the buss should be grounded / bonded.

Is that helpful?

--
Zyp