Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default Magnet Trade again

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Phil L wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Late last year I were building a deck for a lady. The woman next
door was the manager of the local Magnet Trade.

She asked me if I would like to open an account. I explained that I
didn't fit kitchens, windows, doors or staircases and that in any
case I don't like to run accounts with anyone.

Ended up with a bag full of goodies, pads, pens, air fresheners, tee
shirt, a rather nice Irwin jack saw & the deal that if I opened an
account - without having to spend a single penny - I would get 20
tubes of silicone completely free.

So I did, no trade or bank refs required, got my free silicone and a
£3K credit account. Never ever used it. Obviously some kinda sales
promotion with a target & no doubt a bonus scheme.

Got a flyer in the post today, on the theme of 'Remember you opened
a trade account?'

'Activate your account, get £100 off any single transaction when you
spend £100 - even if you only spend £100 - thats right, your first
purchase could be completely free'.

I've read the small print 3 times & can't find a catch. The only
thing they sell that I might buy is the Ryobi range of power tools.

I shall pop in & check it out. £100 worth of power tools for free?
I could flog them & pocket the dosh!

Someone in their marketing department is obviously desperate &
doesn't have a bloody clue.

I'll report back.

It's true, I know lots of people who have taken the box of silicone
and the 100 quid and never been back

Yup, popped in today & its kosher. I shall avail myself of £100
worth of Ryobi power tools.

I explained to them when I opened the account that I didn't buy
anything they sold.

Sounds like a wonderful deal! Can we all have a 'Trade' account - or do they
actually require some evidence that we're in the trade?
--
Cheers,
Roger