Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default yale lock problem

Jim E wrote:
If I shut my front door a bit too hard the lever inside the lock
detaches and the locks `spins` and i have to break the lock to get in.

Does this mean I cut the lever too small?

Sounds like it to me. It wants to be a long as possible.

It does just `sit` in place doesnt it? Or am I putting it in wrong. It
doesnt seem to click into place or anything it just sits in the
groove.

It just sits in place - as long as its long enough.

Because this has happened a few times the metal frame part that goes
onto the inside of the door with the 2 screw holes has become
distorted. Can I buy one of these new or do I need a whole new lock?

Not sure what you mean, but if its the flat metal pressing that the screws
securing the front go through, then I'd just change the whole bloody thing.

Don't buy a cheap one, spend the £30 + on a proper Yale or ERA. The local
Uni where I do the maintenance on the student halls has three accommodation
blocks (8 locks per block) with el cheapo (£7 each) rim locks - the 'yoke'
inside distorts with repeated use/slamming resulting in the door not
latching properly. I change about three a month. The other three blocks
(also 8 locks per block) have genuine Yales & I've never changed one.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk