Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default wireing new compresser question

lujak wrote:
ok.
I have power to a switched box that i will wire to my compressor. i
have 4-strand 6 gauge cord.
problem is compressor has 2 hot and a ground, no neutral. what do i
do with my white wire?
my googling came up with:
A. attach it to the breaker along with the black.

Absolutely not.

B. ground it at the compressor. Sounds better but ?

No, again....NEC says grounds _MUST_ be green/bare. Besides, what's the
point, there's already a ground.

For a 220V-only load, you only need 2 hots and ground. If you want to
use this cord, cut the unused white supposed-to-be-neutral flush to the
trimmed outer insulation at both ends and fuggidabowtit was ever extant.