Posted to alt.home.repair
Chuck[_3_] Chuck[_3_] is offline

Default Leaking around toilet tank bolts - afraid to tighten too much...

Mike rock wrote:
On Jun 25, 2:00 am, blueman wrote:
I replaced the gasket and tank bolts of a 10+ year old toilet.
The tank bolt kit included rubber-fiber and stainless washers.
The kit warned about tightening the bolts too much and potentially
cracking the porcelain but I still tightened them a fair bit - enough
to deform the rubber washers.

When I filled the tank, water dripped out in a steady stream from both
sides. Tightening the nuts a bit more didn't seem to make much of a
difference.

I don't see any crack in the porcelain and the contact surface around
the washers seems pretty flat without any noticeable pits, bumps, or
cracks.

- Is there any "trick" to making the joints leak tight or do I just need
to keep tightening?

- How likely am I to crack it if I tighten more?

- Am I better off adding some pure silicon caulk to make it watertight
or do I just keep tightening until the leaking stops and hope the
porcelain won't crack?

- Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Smething else is wrong. The wax seal might be no good, or maybe the
drain is clogged or perhaps you have a crack in your toilet you can't
see. The only way you are going to tell is if you remove the toilet.

You mention that you tightened the bolts "enough to deform the rubber
washers". This may be the problem. A deformed washer is not seated
properly and could cause the leak. Replace the washers and then don't
tighten them so much that they are deformed. CB