Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default deck sealing

On Jun 25, 5:45*am, cj wrote:
all of the sudden my wife decided that she doesn't like the color of the
deck sealant(thompson's) i applied less than a month ago. she wants to
go a bit darker in the color...can i just restain or do i have to strip
the deck first?

thanks, cj

I wouldnt use a different product , something different might peel as
you dont know chemical makeup, original Thomsons main water proof
ingredient is wax and not nothing sticks to wax. I think you might be
able to put in paint "Universal" tint , its used for stains also. Call
Thompsons and ask if it can be tinted and if it will bond, read the
can it may say. Consumer Reports has a long term paint and stain test
going on for maybe 10 years, Thompsons was dropped years ago from the
test because it was the worst performer, I would not change this year
because of chemical compatibility, but dont believe advertising, and
thats how Thompsons made its name.