Mike in Mystic

Default Boring dog holes...

"Pounds on Wood" wrote in message
s.com...

"Mike in Mystic" wrote in message
om...

That's not a bad idea, but it seems pretty laborious (the bench I'm

making
now, modeled after Sam Allen's joiners bench has 40+ dog holes in the

top).
I'm using a right-angle drill guide and it works great and doesn't weigh

75
lbs.

I'm sure that works too, although I don't ever plan to own a drill guide.

guess they work but driving a forstner bit through 3" of hard maple with a
hand drill, guided or not does not sound accurate or fun. I'm glad it
worked for you. BTW, it doesn't have to be a benchtop DP, any that will
slide down the column would work, but yes it is heavy. Me used to be

strong
like bull :-)

Hehe. Well, what I use to drill dog holes is my cordless Milwaukee 14.4
volt 460 in/lbs. of torque (I know, not as much as the latest and greatest
impact driver, but oh well) and a 3/4" auger bit. Since these are
through-holes, there's not really any particular reason to use a forstner
bit, and auger bits are practically self-driving. So, as long as you get
the hole started properly, it's a snap. Of course, I'm not drilling through
hard maple as you were/are. Still, drilling through 3 sheets of 3/4" MDF
isn't particularly nice to drill bits either.

Mike