Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Small Engine Repair

On Jun 24, 6:48*pm, "Hustlin' Hank" wrote:
On Jun 24, 3:09 pm, mcp6453 wrote:

I'd love to learn how to fix small engines, but none of my local tech
schools offers classes any longer. Are the only courses available
online? It's pretty hard to do a hands-on class online.

Like one poster said.......get a non-running engine and start there.
Once you find a fairly common engine (Briggs and Stratton), find the
model number and look at the parts diagrams online at no cost. Then
try to get it started. If you fail, come back and ask questions here.
Hell, many on here may take the time to guide you thru the diagnosis
procedures before you try to find the problem blindfolded on your own.

In reality, they are pretty easy to work on. All basic stuff.

Hank ~~~30 years with small engines, mostly dirtbikes and ATV's

Most libraries should have some good books. Check a few out and see
which ones you like then buy the ones you think are best. My brother
too a course in it. I rebuilt the family lawnmower when I was 13 from
reading his books. I dont think he ever did anything with it except in
class. I resurrected a few old engines for go carts but havent touched
one in 25 years. A lot of teenage kids I knew overhauled old engines
they found in the dump. Its not hard.

JImmie