Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Broaching

"Steve Lusardi" wrote:

Iggy,
I do it all the time with a 3 ton arbor press and experience no problem. You
do have to use the shims and make multiple passes though. However, 2" is
quite long. I hope your quide bushing is the same length. It also helps to
oil the guide. I also have Tapmagic, but never had the need to use it for
broaching.
Steve

I also use an arbor press. A dull broach lets you know it. I'm thinking since a broach
is a tapered cutter, the loads scale linearly as length increases.

The first broach I broke I did it on a hydraulic press. I tried to do the job in one
shot. Best to ease up and let the broach recenter or relieve deflection if there is any.

That is the nice thing about an arbor press, easy to let up, fast to shove though for
reasonable sizes.

Wes
--

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.