Posted to alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_] Ashton Crusher[_2_] is offline

Default Questions About Dowsing For Water (Long!)

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 13:17:30 -0700 (PDT), harry k
wrote:

On Jun 22, 10:27*pm, Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 20:57:48 -0700 (PDT), Red
wrote:

On Jun 22, 10:39*pm, harry k wrote:
On Jun 22, 4:00*pm, mike wrote:

On Jun 22, 3:26*pm, " wrote:

On Jun 22, 4:55*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:

Anyway, wife & I buy a place in the "country" 10 years ago. *

[snip long (and possibly tall) tale]

Yes, Doug, I said it was a long post in the subject line.

So, having written such a long post, what would I gain from making it
up (what you meant by "tall tale"), walking around in the 95 degree
heat at noon today seeing if I was crazy? *I'll ask again, what is the
explanation for finding things I didn't know were there? *I want to
know for my own benefit, since I cannot find an explanation other than
"it just is". *Just like lots of other things science hasn't explained
yet. *Not "can't",..just "hasn't yet". *And the invitation stands for
anyone.

I can explain it: *It's like drinking Pepsi and flipping a coin and
having it come up heads 5 times in a row and concluding that Pepsi-
drinking causes heads to come up more than pure chance.

The logical test of this would to do it a lot more and see if it
holds. *It has been tried with dowsing (the "best" dowsers) and it
does _not_ hold. *You are one of those people who have not done the
testing yet beyond your initial hypothesis- Hide quoted text -

And you sound like anohter of those who won't even try it.

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

This subject is just like arguing politics or religion - neither side
will change their viewpoint. *Those of us who have had it work on many
occasions and know it works will never convince those who will never
get off their dead asses and try it. *We're falling to level of the
alt.hvac or sci.geo.geology groups in arguing this subject.

Red

Why don't you go win the million dollars?- Hide quoted text -

Perhaps you could try reading and understanding what I have written.
I direct your attention to my repeated "half-skeptic'

Harry K

So what? You seem to think they work. It costs you basically nothing
to try. So what's stopping you? Randi's had this offer out there for
nearly 20 years, not just for dousing but for ANY paranormal claim.
There have been several people who have tried. They all agree before
the test even starts that they understand what is being tested and
what will constitute success or failure and the believers all think
they can do whatever it is they do, that it's a cake walk. Yet when
they actually have to demonstrate for real that their results rise
above the level of chance they all fail. These are not hard tests if
you believe what these people claim, yet they fail consistently. And
Randi isn't the one doing the testing, so to speak, he's just
establishing the agreement, the results stand or fall on their own.