Posted to alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_] Ashton Crusher[_2_] is offline

Default Questions About Dowsing For Water

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 15:13:18 -0700, "Ulysses"
wrote:

"Ashton Crusher" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 20:29:17 -0700 (PDT), harry k
wrote:

On Jun 22, 9:17 am, mike wrote:
On Jun 21, 6:36 pm, Ashton Crusher wrote:

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 07:42:10 -0700 (PDT), harry k

wrote:
On Jun 21, 6:33 am, Steve Barker wrote:
harry k wrote:
On Jun 20, 6:52 am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article

, harry k
wrote:

I often wonder if any of the skeptics have actually tried

using a
couple bent wires. They work for me
Then contact the James Randi Educational Foundation
http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html
and claim your million dollars.

So have _you_ actually tried it?

Harry K

the landscape company i used to work for used the method several

times a
week to find irrigation lines when no plan was available. It does

work.

No amount of cases of it working is going to convince Doug. He knows
what he knows and apparently is not about to even try it.

Harry K

I'm always amazed that the people who are adamant that "it works"
somehow never have an interest in getting a million dollars for their
skill. And just to be clear, "working" doesn't mean that the rods
mysteriously move, it means that using the rods allows you to find
whatever it is you claim you can find at a level of probability

higher
then chance level when the rods are all you have to go by.- Hide

quoted text -

The really hilarious thing about this dowsing nonsense is that if
people really believed that it worked, they'd mount their rods under
sealed glass with precision bearings.... not HOLD THEM IN THEIR
HANDS.

That's like having cork on sandpaper for a a bearing! Of course if
they actually made such an instrument, it become blindingly obvious
how useless it'd be in about one minute.- Hide quoted text -

I vaguely recall reading some experiments way back when where people
tried building them to remove any possibility of the operator
influencing them. Don't recall any of the details or what the results
were.
Harry K

I can predict what the results would be. On one level the results
would be that it didn't work. On the other level the "expert" would
start talking about how "of course it doesn't work, it HAS to be held
in the persons hands because it's not just the rods, it's the PERSON
too and the mysterious unknown force has to go thru both the rods AND
the person to work." It's cop out #6 in the cop out hit parade of
reasons why these powers never work if someone actually try's to test
them.

I would like to see a true disbeliever, such as yourself, get a couple of
bronze rods and try it. Since you expect nothing to happen then nothing
will happen, right? To be specific the rods I tried were perhaps five
inches long in the handle area, bent at 45 degrees for an inch or so, and
then bent another 45 degrees and perhaps two feet long so the overall shape
is 90 degrees and the thumbs rest gently upon the 45 degree slant. I wasn't
expecting anything to happen, but it did.

I have tried it. Maybe you saw my other post. Sure "it works" if you
mean the rods will seemingly move of their own power. The problem is,
they don't actually find water at any level above chance. It's just
like a Ouija board... or do you believe in them too?