Posted to alt.home.repair
Ulysses Ulysses is offline

Default Questions About Dowsing For Water

"Warren Block" wrote in message
. ..
Ulysses wrote:

When my well witcher was here I tried the magic wands and got definate,
strong movements of the wands in some areas and not others. I believe

that
I was not subsonsciously influenced by any outside factors. The terrain

and
bushes etc. all looked pretty much the same to me and, having no

experience
digging wells, would not recognize any of the above-ground signs anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clever_hans

Next you'll be telling me that my dog doesn't understand geometry and
physics.

I found that the results were very consistant. I even went back to my
well, after the witcher was gone, to test my own wands because I
didn't remember if they were supposed to swing apart or cross and was
able to establish that by using my well as reference.

http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery...ideomotor.html

I don't really see much difference between believing in ideomotor action and
believing in dowsing or witching.