Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.lasers
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Removing rubbery potting compound

JW wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 08:33:23 -0400 Sam Goldwasser
wrote in Message id:
:

The PCB was just an example. But where this is needed is to remove
the stuff surrounding a glass laser tube - about 6 inches in length
and a space of 2 or 3 mm between the tube and the cylinder it's in.
Both the cylinder and tube need to come out undamaged.

How about using a thin blade from a coping saw? Once you manage to slip it
all the way through the length of the cylinder it should work fairly well.
I don't think it'd damage the glass either.

My coping saw blades are only 6 inches long, I doubt they come any longer as
only intended for small light work.

After drilling a pilot hole I would try one of these sort of wire saws
http://www.ecamo.co.uk/product/webte...e-saw/265.html
fed through and then bodge fixed in a 12 inch hacksaw frame for rigidity.

Or straightened out bit of heater element wire

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England