Posted to uk.d-i-y
Toby Toby is offline

Default Debris in tap water... help needed

None wrote:
On Jun 23, 3:15 pm, "Toby" wrote:
None wrote:
On Jun 23, 2:58 pm, "Toby" wrote:
None wrote:
On Jun 23, 1:58 pm, "Toby" wrote:
Thanks for the detailed advice chaps, I think I will do
neverwas' stopcock experiment first. What seems to happen is
the tap that is put on first at full whack will have minimal
debris, while the tap that is opened second (also at max but
with a trickle flow) will be filled with it. I guess when I
get home I'll have to play around and see what happens when
both taps are on at half power etc.

Ok, just went home for lunch hour and tested this out. Whether
or not the tap in our side passage is opened first or second,
it is the tap which is allocated the pressure. So, if I run the
kitchen tap full whack then nip outside and open the side
passage tap to full, it comes on at full pressure while the
kitchen tap will trickle. And interestingly, a load of dirt
comes out of the side passage tap at the high pressure in
addition to the kitchen tap's dirt content with the trickle
flow.

I hope I'm making sense, I'm finding this tough to explain...

Makes sense to me!

Just had another thought - what type of boiler do you have in
your property? Is it a sealed system with a pressure guage on or
near the boiler?

If so, what is the pressure showing on the gauge when all your
taps are off, then again after you turn the water off in the
road and then run the taps to relese any pressure in the system?

Toby...

No, its not a sealed system, regular old boiler....

Okay - so you should have a smaller header tank for the boiler?
Is the water inlet to this tank above the water level?

Toby...

Do you mean the small expansion tank beside the main water tank in
the attic?

Yes, this one keeps your radiator circuit topped up, and absorbs any
contraction and expantion in the system due to the water heating, so
may contain nasty brown water!

This tank will have a mains water feed to it, but this must be above
the water line, just like the main tank - is it?

Toby...

I'll have a check when I get home... its tricky to get to, as the
flooring aint the most secure up there. But surely that couldn't be
siphoning water down to the tap?!

It depends on the type of valve, it is certainly not impossible.
Not that likely, but again, until you find the cause of the problem, you
need to rule out as much as you can.

Another test for you to try if that looks all OK...

Run the cold water in the kitchen for 1 minute (I assume this will not
produce bits in the water if it is run alone)

Now flush the loo

Wait 10 minutes without running any water anywhere.

turn off water in the road

now place a bucket under your kitchen tap and turn the cold on to release
the pressure

Do you get any bits, and how much water came out?

when the water has stopped (or slowed to a trickle) empty the bucket and
then leave the tap on with the bucket underneath and flush the loo

the water in the pipe to the loft should now empty into the bucket - any
bits in there now?

Toby....