Posted to uk.d-i-y
Toby Toby is offline

Default Debris in tap water... help needed

None wrote:
On Jun 23, 2:58 pm, "Toby" wrote:
None wrote:
On Jun 23, 1:58 pm, "Toby" wrote:
Thanks for the detailed advice chaps, I think I will do neverwas'
stopcock experiment first. What seems to happen is the tap that
is put on first at full whack will have minimal debris, while
the tap that is opened second (also at max but with a trickle
flow) will be filled with it. I guess when I get home I'll have
to play around and see what happens when both taps are on at
half power etc.

Ok, just went home for lunch hour and tested this out. Whether or
not the tap in our side passage is opened first or second, it is
the tap which is allocated the pressure. So, if I run the kitchen
tap full whack then nip outside and open the side passage tap to
full, it comes on at full pressure while the kitchen tap will
trickle. And interestingly, a load of dirt comes out of the side
passage tap at the high pressure in addition to the kitchen tap's
dirt content with the trickle flow.

I hope I'm making sense, I'm finding this tough to explain...

Makes sense to me!

Just had another thought - what type of boiler do you have in your
property? Is it a sealed system with a pressure guage on or near
the boiler?

If so, what is the pressure showing on the gauge when all your taps
are off, then again after you turn the water off in the road and
then run the taps to relese any pressure in the system?

Toby...

No, its not a sealed system, regular old boiler....

Okay - so you should have a smaller header tank for the boiler?
Is the water inlet to this tank above the water level?

Toby...

Do you mean the small expansion tank beside the main water tank in the
attic?

Yes, this one keeps your radiator circuit topped up, and absorbs any
contraction and expantion in the system due to the water heating, so may
contain nasty brown water!

This tank will have a mains water feed to it, but this must be above the
water line, just like the main tank - is it?

Toby...