Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.lasers

Default Removing rubbery potting compound

"James Sweet" wrote in message
Sam Goldwasser wrote:
"William Sommerwerck" writes:

Whatever this stuf is, common sense suggests it was designed
not to be easily removed, especially by chemical means.
Otherwise, there would be little point to it.

I think that's only true in some cases. Since this CAN be removed
using just brute force, it's a lot easier to reverse engineer
PCBs and such with it than, say, hard Epoxy.

Even hard epoxy is no real matter when it comes to reverse engineering
if you are willing to destroy the thing you are analyzing. I've found
that it's quite brittle stuff, and applying pressure in the right places
with a bench vise will usually cause it to crumble. Some components will
get broken in the process but they can usually still be identified.

Please note the adverb in my original post.