Posted to alt.home.repair
Winston Winston is offline

Default Has anyone considered using rainwater collection for roof evaporativecooling to reduce cooling load/costs ?

wrote:
Ive read some articles where people have collected rainwater pumped up
to the roof and fed into either 180 degree sprinklers, or, into PVC
piping with holes drilled in the sides to soak the roof thereby
drastically cooling the roof tiles, deck, and hence reducing cooling
load on the inside of the home. In order to maximize savings, a 12
vdc high head pump can be used which is fed off of a small solar
collector or DeepCell batteries (which are periodically recharged) .
One article says his water flow amounts to approx. 50 gallons in just
a couple of hours ; this would require a HUGE quantity of collected
rainwater in order to have it operate for a full day.

I suppose if one lived next to a lake , pond, or stream...it would be
more viable.

Comments ? Thanks.

I tried that once.

The interior of the house changed from unpleasant hot and dry,
to *very* unpleasant hot and wet.

I suspect however that one could filter and use the rain water in a
conventional swamp cooler, where the saturated air is directed away
from the house instead of enveloping it.

--Winston