Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Surface grinder dust collection strategies

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 09:02:08 -0700 (PDT), rgabelmann
wrote:

Hi Ned,

I am an applications engineer and have been working for a variety of
dust collector manufacturers for over 15 years. The best way to
handle a small surface grinder is to incorporate the splash guard into
a box like hood with sides and a roof. The roof would be your pick up
hood or suction hood where you would mount a collar to attach a hose
that you can run back to your collector.

This got me thinking. The nozzle I have now is pretty effective at
sucking up the fines. The heavier grit that escapes is really just a
nuisance near the grinder, I don't think any of it travels far enough
to be a real problem. An enclosure like you've described would
probably contain the bulk of the coarse stuff on the grinder table,
even if it wasn't all sucked up by the collector. Is that typically
how it works?

--
Ned Simmons