Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Pencil question

"Snag" wrote in message
news
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Ha-ha! You probably were born too late for that stuff. g

I have a half-dozen or so of them, and several other brands. They're
drafting pencils, also used by graphic artists. You can still get
lead for them at a good graphic-arts supply store, but stock up,
because there's no telling how long it will be before you have to
order them online. They come in at least two different diameters.
They're quite thick;
you need
a special sharpener to produce a conical point on them (Staedtler
makes a good, compact one that uses an internal file to sharpen. I
also have a Boston desk model that uses sandpaper cones. They both
work fine.)

What the heck are these things. I learned drafting when 0.3 to 0.9
Pentels were were the
rage then. The only bare lead (graphite) I sharpened was for a
compass. Wes

Listen, young fella, if you were over 60, you'd know better. d8-)

--

Too late for graphite, too early for Cad

Hey , I'm under 60 (a little...) and I learned to draw with a T-square
and triangles . And lead holders ... I learned to sharpen the leads with a
piece of sandpaper glued to a flat piece of wood .
--
Snag
3rd year drafting students got to use the machines ... articulated arm

Huh. I didn't know you could swap them. That's why I hated them. I got a
Mayline, instead, and it was useful for graphic arts as well as drafting.
It's also good for cutting out fancy paper airplanes and kite panels. g

Luckily, I never had to do complicated drawings. The machines were great for
that.

--
Ed Huntress