Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Pool pump timers

wrote:
My pool, like most of the pools I've seen, use an Intermatic
mechanical timer to turn the pool pump on and off. It does not seem
that there are any low cost digital timers available.

Is there any reason I could not use an irrigation timer and relay like
those used on sprinkler pumps? The only drawback I can see is that
its a bit more complicated to simply turn the pump on whenever you
wish using the digital timers vs throwing a mechanical switch.

That's a good idea. Just use a high current relay.

If you also have a Polaris booster pump it gets more complicated since
the booster pump can only be on when the main pump is on, but it isn't
on all the time that the main pump is on. On a dual Intermatic
mechanical timer you wire it so the Polaris pump timer doesn't provide
power to the booster pump even if the timer trips it on, unless the main
pump is on.