Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default how to put a new PVC fitting after using a socket saver

On Jun 22, 5:41*am, wrote:
On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 18:35:25 -0400, jeff_wisnia

I needed to remove a toilet fitting and bought a socket saver from
Jones stevens. *The inside of the fitting was left gouged and
oversized. *This tool didn't work as easily as it did on "This Old
House Hour."

So I used the regular body PVC cement
*to try to attach the new 3" toilet flange. *The flange didn't stick.
The cement didn't even attempt to fill the gap.

Does anyone have any suggestion on how to fill the gap. *It seems to
be be about a 1/32" - 1/16" gap around the fitting. *Of course there
are some gouges that can be 3/32". *

Thanks,

Brad

Try Automotive "Bondo" and let it cure for a day or two before letting
it get wet.

Jeff

Good idea, would I need to get clean off the PVC cement that is left
on the fittings from the previous attempt or can I put the" bondo"
right over it?

Brad

If the fittings still go together OK, just slather on the Bondo or
epoxy and you should be fine. Clean off poorly adhered or ,oose stuff,
of course.

Joe