Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Septic tank question

on 6/22/2009 12:57 PM (ET) wrote the following:
On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 08:18:03 -0700 (PDT), harry k
wrote:

On Jun 22, 7:59 am, willshak wrote:

on 6/19/2009 11:07 AM (ET) wrote the following:

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 08:45:24 -0600, "John D99"
wrote:

I've got a standard concrete septic tank setup. I recently dug down about
10 - 12 inchs to uncover the two inspection / maintenance holes, whcih are
about 20 inches in diameter.

My question: is there any problem in not re-filling the holes so I can have
easy access next time I want to check the tank to see if it needs a
pump-out?

Can I expect a lot of odor in the hot months if I don't cover the thing with
dirt?

My septic guy says one problem with that is rain water will flood the
tank putting pressure on the leach field. He also suggests using
regular spray foam insulation on the edges of the hole before you drop
the lid in. That will break loose easier than the bond you get with
dirt in the gap..

The tank is completely enclosed, so there is very little water that can
get in, and any rain that does get in would be around the cleanout
cover, which would be no more than some dripping. With all that rain, it
would probably be less than one flush of the toilet.
There would be much more rainwater flooding the septic fields, though..

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Yep! The guy is full of it.

Harry K

I guess you are right, Why should I trust someone with 20 years in the
business when I have internet experts.

We're not trying to sell you a cleanout.